Why are preterm babies prone to infections?

Preterm babies are especially susceptible to infections because it takes much longer for protective bacteria and other immune-fighting agents to develop. It's one of the reasons why researchers are exploring the possibility of using probiotics to help jump-start a preemie's immune response.
YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...

Continue Learning about Caring For A Premature Baby

How can I protect my preterm baby from germs?
Shakira HendersonShakira Henderson
Good hand hygiene is the fundamental practice to protect you and your baby. You may also want to con...
What monitors and equipment will my baby need after leaving the NICU?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
Some babies will need to go home from the NICU with monitors or equipment. The most commonly used ho...
Should I give my preterm baby a pacifier?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
If you’re breastfeeding a preterm baby, don’t give your baby a pacifier during the first month of ...
How can pumping breast milk help my premature baby?
Pumping will help bring in a good supply of milk, so your baby won’t have to work so hard. Start...