Why are preterm babies prone to infections?

Preterm babies are especially susceptible to infections because it takes much longer for protective bacteria and other immune-fighting agents to develop. It's one of the reasons why researchers are exploring the possibility of using probiotics to help jump-start a preemie's immune response.
YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...

Continue Learning about Caring For A Premature Baby

How can I tell if my preterm baby is getting enough milk?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Whether you’re feeding breast milk, formula, or both, you’ll know your baby is getting enough to e...
Should I give my preterm baby a pacifier?
If you’re breastfeeding a preterm baby, don’t give your baby a pacifier during the first month of ...
What do I need to know about tummy time for NICU babies?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
Once home -- when your NICU baby is awake and being watched -- give her some play time on her tummy....
How are premature babies treated?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
When it becomes evident that a mother will deliver prematurely, she often is treated with antibiotic...