What should I do when my baby cries out for me at night?

Nicole H. Gorton, MD
Pediatrics
At some point, your baby will wake up and cry out for you. Every parent tends to handle this differently. Some parents let their baby “cry it out.” Others pick the child up and help him or her get back to sleep. Keep in mind, your child eventually will have to learn to self-soothe and go back to sleep on his or her own. Figure out your best family strategy to get your baby back to sleep.

Continue Learning about Caring For A Crying Baby

How often do babies cry?
Many babies cry about an hour or two a day (crying is their only verbal means of communicating, afte...
How can I avoid getting angry when my baby cries at night?
Trish BoothTrish Booth
If your baby’s crying at night upsets you, avoid handling him roughly, shaking him or forcing hi...
Is it normal for my baby to cry a lot?
Dr. Tanya R. Altmann, MDDr. Tanya R. Altmann, MD
Babies cry! When they’re not sleeping, eating, or pooping, they’re crying! They cry when they are ...
What are the most common causes of crying in a baby?
Deborah MulliganDeborah Mulligan
Crying is the only way your baby has to communicate important messages to you. The average baby crie...