What are the most common causes of crying?

Frustration, low-level stress and watching something sad on television are the most common causes of crying.

Obviously, more serious and traumatic incidents also can cause us to cry, such as births, death, illnesses, violent crimes and infidelity.

As human beings, we are hardwired to cry. Even the most masculine men cry. With the possible exception of gorillas and elephants, humans are the only beings on earth who shed emotional tears.

Continue Learning about Caring For A Crying Baby

Is it normal for a newborn baby to be fussy?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Many newborn babies have some fussy periods during the day that can be completely normal. Sometimes,...
What are the most common causes of crying in a baby?
Deborah MulliganDeborah Mulligan
Crying is the only way your baby has to communicate important messages to you. The average baby crie...
What do I do when my baby won't stop crying?
Louise E. Sivak, MDLouise E. Sivak, MD
Hello, Specifics depend on the age of your baby and what is making her/him cry. To state the obvious...
Is it normal for my baby to cry a lot?
Dr. Tanya R. Altmann, MDDr. Tanya R. Altmann, MD
Babies cry! When they’re not sleeping, eating, or pooping, they’re crying! They cry when they are ...