How can I avoid getting angry when my baby cries at night?

Trish Booth
Family Medicine
If your baby’s crying at night upsets you, avoid handling him roughly, shaking him or forcing him to lie down. It is better to place your baby in his crib on his back and walk out of the room. It is okay to let your baby cry for 15 minutes. He may fall asleep on his own during this time. Use the time to help yourself cool down and get your feelings under control. If your baby is still crying after 15 minutes and you are still upset, try to get another adult to help your baby.

Continue Learning about Caring For A Crying Baby

Is it normal for my baby to cry a lot?
Dr. Tanya R. Altmann, MDDr. Tanya R. Altmann, MD
Babies cry! When they’re not sleeping, eating, or pooping, they’re crying! They cry when they are ...
What can I do when I'm overwhelmed by caring for my baby?
Trish BoothTrish Booth
If you feel overwhelmed, give both of you a 15-minute break. Place your baby in the crib, walk o...
What does my baby's cry mean?
Just as a birdwatcher can distinguish the tweets of an oriole, chickadee, or a yellow-headed caracar...
What should I do when my baby cries out for me at night?
Nicole H. Gorton, MDNicole H. Gorton, MD
At some point, your baby will wake up and cry out for you. Every parent tends to handle this differe...