What are some tips for me to help family members who are in the hospital?

Following are some tips for you to help family members who are in the hospital:

• Record yourself singing, talking, or reading a story.
  • Put a favorite photo by their bed.
  • For children, bring them a toy animal or some of their things.
  • Even if they're asleep, they may still be able to hear you and feel your touch, so hold their hands and tell them what's happening at home or keep a diary to read to them.
Deb Cordes
Deb Cordes on behalf of Sigma Nursing
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Specialist

Some tips to help family members that are hospitalized are:

1. Bring a complete list of medications to the hospital for the nurse and doctor to review.
  2. Be sure to provide as much information to the nurse and doctor about any conditions that your family member may have.
  3. Be sure to let the nurse and the doctor know about any allergies that your family member may have.
  4. Be sure to have your family members send home any valuables so they do not get lost.
  5. Ask any health care provider and or family members who visit to wash their hands. This reduces the risk of infection.
  6. Ask as many questions of the nurse and doctor until you understand the care that is being provided to your family member.
  7. If the nurse gives a medication to your family member and it does not look familiar, please ask your nurse what it is and what it is used for. This helps to ensure that the medication your family member is receiving is the right medication.
  8. Please do not overwhelm your family member by too many visitors. They are in the hospital for a reason and some times having too many visitors is exhausting.
  9. If your family member has dentures, please make sure you bring them so they can eat their meals.
  10. If your family member is confused and the hospital allows it, ask if you can stay overnight to provide comfort to your family member.

Continue Learning about Caregiving

How Should I Care for Myself As a Caregiver?
How Can I Avoid Caregiver Burnout?
How Can I Avoid Caregiver Burnout?
How Can Caregiving Affect My Health?
How Can Caregiving Affect My Health?
What Are the Signs of Caregiver Burnout?