What is people first language when talking about people with disabilities?

The following statements are examples of people first language:
  • People with disabilities or people who have disabilities: In place of saying “the disabled,” it is preferable to say “people with disabilities.” This way the emphasis is placed on the person, not the disability (NOT the handicapped or disabled) 
  • He or she uses a wheelchair (NOT he or she is wheelchair bound or confined to a wheelchair)
  • He or she has a congenital disability (NOT he or she has a birth defect)
  • Accessible parking or bathrooms (NOT handicapped parking or bathrooms)
  • He or she has a need for, or he or she needs (NOT he or she has a problem with)
  • He or she has a cognitive disability, or he or she has an intellectual impairment (NOT he or she is retarded or MR)

Continue Learning about Caregiving

Know the Signs: Caregiver Burnout
Know the Signs: Caregiver Burnout
Caring for a loved one with a chronic illness can be an emotional rollercoaster to say the least. In addition to stressful hospital stays and office v...
What does the term caregiving mean?
The term "caregiving" is most often associated with elderly parents and in-laws, and about 70% o...
Getting the Caregiver Support You Need
Getting the Caregiver Support You NeedGetting the Caregiver Support You NeedGetting the Caregiver Support You NeedGetting the Caregiver Support You Need
How Should I Care for Myself As a Caregiver?