What is a guardian?

A guardian is someone who assumes legal responsibility for the personal care of an incapable person, often including the management of his or her financial and legal affairs. An incapable person may also be referred to as the protected person or the ward. A guardian is appointed by the court. A legal guardian is under the supervision of the court and must make periodic reports on the status or completion of court-appointed responsibilities.

A guardian's responsibilities typically include the management of property, bills, medical decisions (including consent to surgery and other medical procedures), financial matters, residential affairs and monthly reporting to court officials.

Guardianship/conservatorship policies vary from state to state.

Continue Learning about Caregiving

Caregiver Corner: Tips When Researching Lung Cancer
When a loved one has cancer, you want to learn all that you can about the particular type of cancer, the ways it can be treated, and the everyday thin...
How can my family prepare for celebrations if a loved one has dementia?
Alzheimer's Foundation of AmericaAlzheimer's Foundation of America
In advance of a big celebration, be candid with family and friends about your loved one's condition ...
How can I relieve stress if I am a caregiver for a loved one with dementia?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
If you feel overwhelmed by your loved one's dementia, one of the most important things to remember i...
What Is Hospice Care for Cancer Patients?