What can experts do to support people who provide care for aging relatives?

Because caregiving can create stress, the United Hospital Fund and the AARP Public Policy Institute suggest that all caregivers receive training and support.

These expert organizations recommend:
  • caregiver assessments
  • better integration of behavioral and physical health programs
  • more respite and adult day care programs to ease the load on family caregivers
  • training of family caregivers to help them better understand and respond to challenging behaviors
  • better training of health care providers to work more effectively with family caregivers
  • revisions to support and training materials for family caregivers to reflect care management of the whole person, rather than just the specific condition
This content originally appeared on HealthyWomen.org.

Continue Learning about Caregiving

How to Support a Loved One Who has a Mental Illness
What's the Best Thing I Can Do for a Loved One Who Has Multiple Sclerosis?
What Is Hospice Care for Cancer Patients?
How Important Are Alternative Sites of Care?