What types of emotional and spiritual support can I receive in hospice?

Hospice care can offer emotional and spiritual support for both you and your loved ones. The social worker, chaplain and sometimes other hospice team members provide this support. Social workers, if requested, answer questions and help you and your loved ones talk about how you are feeling and what you are experiencing. Should tensions arise among family members or loved ones, your social worker can also assist in discussing difficult issues.

The hospice chaplain, if requested, works alone or with your own spiritual advisors to answer questions and guide conversations about the meaning of life, death and other spiritual issues you and your loved ones may want to discuss. Both your social worker and chaplain can offer caring companionship and lead discussions about death and dying. They can also help you and your loved ones with grief and bereavement issues.

Continue Learning about Caregiving

Caregiver Corner: Tips When Researching Lung Cancer
When a loved one has cancer, you want to learn all that you can about the particular type of cancer, the ways it can be treated, and the everyday thin...
What should I know about caring for someone with an amputation?
If you are caring for someone who has had an amputation, keep in mind that they may be dealing with ...
What are some of the challenges facing people who care for aging relatives?
The caregiver role may be difficult, especially if you are caring for a family member with dementia ...
How Can I Get Some Help for Caregiver Burnout?