What should I ask my doctor about being the caregiver of a parent?

Review the following questions about caregiving that may apply to your situation:
  • My mother seems more confused than usual. Could some of the confusion be related to the medication she is taking?
  • What medications are available to help slow the progress of my father's mental deterioration or to reduce his agitation? What are the side effects?
  • My sister has multiple sclerosis, and I'm taking care of her. How do I help her maintain her independence?
  • My loved one is in the final stages of cancer. (People rarely say this—They say “the doctors say there is no more treatment but she is in pain or distress…) Can you recommend a palliative care program or hospice?
  • What do I need to know about nutritional requirements (special diets) for my aging parent?
  • Can you recommend some support groups?
  • My father seems to be losing some of his motor abilities. Would occupational or physical therapy help? If so, can you provide a referral?
  • Do you have some simple exercises my mother can do to help her maintain muscle strength and balance?
  • Can you recommend facilities that have programs geared to younger people with brain injury?
Not all of these questions will apply in all cases, but hopefully, they provide some food for thought so you're prepared to discuss this important health issue with your healthcare professional.

Continue Learning about Caregiving

How to Avoid “Caregiver Burnout"
How to Avoid “Caregiver Burnout"
Caregiver burnout is a very real form of physical, emotional and mental exhaustion. It can show up as a change in attitude or withdrawal from friends ...
How Important Are Alternative Sites of Care?
How Can Caregiving Affect My Health?
How Can Caregiving Affect My Health?
How Should I Care for Myself As a Caregiver?