What are the signs of caregiver burnout?

Dr. Ramani Durvasula, PhD
Psychology Specialist

Some of the signs of caregiver burnout can mirror those of a psychiatric disorder, including sleeplessness, poor diet, poor concentration and irritability. Watch me discuss the red flag symptoms of caregiver burnout.

Dr. Linda Ercoli, PhD
Psychology Specialist

Caregiver burnout occurs when a person caring for a patient becomes very stressed and tired. Taking care of somebody is usually a 24/7 type of job. Caregiver burnout symptoms include insomnia, fatigue, anger or frustration. If you feel impatient or short-tempered in relating to your loved one, or if you have resentment about the job as a caregiver, you might need to take your break by yourself.

Caregiving involves many stressors: changes in the family dynamic, household disruption, financial pressure, and the sheer amount of work involved. The rewards of caregiving—if they come at all—are intangible and far off, and often there is no hope for a happy outcome.

Following are common warning signs of caregiver burnout:

• You have much less energy than you used to
  • It seems like you catch every cold or flu that's going around
  • You're constantly exhausted, even after sleeping or taking a break
  • You neglect your own needs, either because you're too busy or you don't care anymore
  • Your life revolves around caregiving, but it gives you little satisfaction
  • You have trouble relaxing, even when help is available
  • You're increasingly impatient and irritable with the person you're caring for
  • You feel overwhelmed, helpless, and hopeless

Continue Learning about Caregiving

Caregiver Corner: Tips When Researching Lung Cancer
When a loved one has cancer, you want to learn all that you can about the particular type of cancer, the ways it can be treated, and the everyday thin...
A Life-Changing Decision: Caring for an Aging Parent
“Like so many caregivers, I arrived at my caregiving role accidentally,” says Shelley Webb. Webb became a full-time family caregiver when she brought ...
How should I talk to an elderly loved one about the help he needs?
Anne FabinyAnne Fabiny
Discussing needs of your elderly loved one can be a prickly business. It may be easy for you to imag...
What challenges do low-income caregivers face?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
Minority and low-income caregivers may face special challenges. Accessing paid sources of care may b...