Should a young person be in a nursing home?

Anthony Cirillo
Geriatric Medicine
In recent years, as more young people have entered nursing homes, there have been advances in person-centered care. This way, no matter what a resident’s age, the care is customized to their situation and interests. But there is a long way to go.

Some facilities are adapting. Young people live in private rooms in their own wing. Instead of bingo night, there is poker night. Pizza is served instead of lasagna. And meals are accommodated at preferential times. But let’s face it: These are not the appropriate conditions for young people.

It's debatable if a young person should be in a nursing home at all. When they are, perhaps their care be different from that of older residents.

Continue Learning about Caregiving

Depression Caregiver Stress
Depression Caregiver Stress
According to the National Institute of Mental Health, each year an estimated 17 million adult Americans suffer from depression. If you're the primary ...
How can I be the best caregiver for my spouse with cancer?
Dr. Vincent T DeVita JrDr. Vincent T DeVita Jr
Caregivers have many roles. The roles change as the patient's needs change during and after cancer t...
Who are considered to be the best caregivers?
Lisa OzLisa Oz
There are men who are also caregivers, but for the most part the role seems to come with the second ...
How Do You Inspire the Next Generation of Caregivers?