Is there a tool that measures a caretaker's quality of life?

Anthony Cirillo
Geriatric Medicine
The Adult Carer Quality of Life Questionnaire, a British manual commonly used to provide health and social workers with a tool to measure the quality of life of adult, unpaid caregivers, has been launched in the U.S. by The Princess Royal Trust for Carers.

It is a simple 40-item questionnaire that measures a carer’s quality of life in eight domains: support for caring; caring choice; caring stress; money matters; personal growth; sense of value; ability to care; and carer satisfaction. The questionnaire can be used on a one-off basis for the purpose of an assessment, or as a pre- or post- intervention tool to measure change and the impact of support.
Caregiver Support Services offers a free caregiver assessment. The Two-Minute Caregiver Assessment is a web-based tool designed from the results of a national Caregiver Wellness study conducted in 2009. One of the key findings of the study was that most family caregivers do not know where to start for information and services.  After a “Point & Click” to submit, the Two -Minute Caregiver Assessment will provide the family caregiver with a suggestion on where to start. The results are confidential and are not shared with any organizations. To access the Two -Minute Caregiver Assessment please go to
http://www.caregiversupportservices.org/Two_Minute_CareGiver_Assessment/index.asp

Continue Learning about Caregiving

A Life-Changing Decision: Caring for an Aging Parent
“Like so many caregivers, I arrived at my caregiving role accidentally,” says Shelley Webb. Webb became a full-time family caregiver when she brought ...
As a caregiver, how can I be more organized with paperwork?
Shelley WebbShelley Webb
A binder that contains all important information needed for the caregiving of your elder and tha...
What living arrangements should I consider for an aging parent?
Dr. Oluwatoyin Thomas, MDDr. Oluwatoyin Thomas, MD
The first option would be to keep your parent at home, with your family members offering support, wh...
How Do You Prompt Difficult Conversations about End-of-Life Medical Care?