How would I utilize a Geriatric Care Manager?

Shelley Webb
Nursing

Geriatric Care Managers (GCMs) are professionals in the health care industry who either have a degree in nursing, social work, gerontology or psychology. They have experience in the care of aging loved ones and have a firm grasp on the financial, medical, and legal problems that people regularly encounter when planning eldercare. They know how to utilize the systems that are already in place in order to help to keep loved ones safe and as independent as possible while helping to utilize available monies for the maximum benefit.

GCMs can provide short or long term assistance for caregivers living near or far away from their loved one. They can also help with crisis intervention when family members are at an impass or when dealing with a difficult situation at an assisted living facility, nursing home or other care facility.

It's important to note that payment for a Geriatric Care Manager (GCM) is not currently covered by Medi-care but GCMs can help families to save money by being aware of and suggesting less expensive care options.

Some financial planners and real estate agents have begun calling themselves Geriatric Care Managers but they cannot be certified, nor can they belong to the National Association of Professional Geriatric Care Managers whose goal is the advancement of expert assistance to older adults and their families.

Anthony Cirillo
Geriatric Medicine

Geriatric Care Managers serve as stand in providers when families cannot be around. The duties of a care manager include:

• Conducting care-planning assessments to identify needs.
  • Putting a care plan together and then executing that plan.
  • Screening, arranging, and monitoring in-home help.
  • Acting as a liaison to families at a distance.
  • Assisting with moving their clients to or from different care settings.
  • Reviewing financial, legal, or medical issues and referring clients to experts for same such as estate planning, living wills, and family trust experts.
  • Providing crisis intervention.
  • Providing client and family education.
  • Visiting clients on a regular, routine basis to make sure they are safe, doing well, eating properly, and taking needed medications.
  • Making necessary medical appointments and assuring client gets to them.
  • Identifying agencies and/or social services and other programs that client can avail.
  • Monitoring the elder’s finances and paying bills.

The National Association of Geriatric Care Managers can provide great resources in helping you work with a care manager.

http://www.caremanager.org/displaycommon.cfm?an=1&subarticlenbr=83

They share the followwing.

It is especially helpful that you are prepared with all relevant information for the care of your family member or friend when meeting the care manager.

Ask:

• What resources will it take to handle this situation?
  • Are there any alternative courses of action?
  • What are the advantages and disadvantages of each alternative?
  • Who will be working with you?
  • How many professionals may be involved? What about off-hours and backup?
  • How are fees computed?
  • How are travel time and mileage handled?
  • How are services terminated?

The site also covers:

• What is a Geriatric Care Manager (GCM)?
  • How do I find a GCM?
  • Do I Really Need a GCM?
  • What Can a GCM Do for Me?
  • What are the Benefits of Using a GCM?
  • Making that 1st phone call
  • Questions to Ask When Looking for a GCM
  • Once You Have Found a GCM
  • Discussing Fees
  • Get It in Writing
  • Make It a Good Experience
  • Standards of Practice
  • Pledge of Ethics
  • Credential Descriptions
      Goldina Erowele
      Caregiving

Geriatric Care Managers (GCM) are professionals who have extensive training and experience working with older people, people with disabilities and families who need assistance with caregiving issues. They assist older adults who wish to remain in their homes, or can help families in the search for a suitable nursing home placement or extended care if the need occurs. The practice of geriatric care management and the role of care providers have captured a national spotlight, as generations of Baby Boomers age. To find near you visit http://memberfinder.caremanager.org/

Please note that insurance does not cover GCM pay.

Continue Learning about Caregiving

When Someone You Love Is Diagnosed With Multiple Myeloma
      When your loved one is diagnosed with multiple myeloma, the focus of everyone—family, friends, doctors—is squarely on that new patient, just as it sho...
      How is a guardian appointed?
      CareConsciousCareConscious
      The process of appointing a guardian usually begins when a family member or close friend of a care r...
      How should I discuss difficult news with my elderly parent?
      Anne FabinyAnne Fabiny
      It's tough to impart difficult news, such as a dismal medical diagnosis, a request that a parent sto...
      How Can I Get Some Help for Caregiver Burnout?