How do I turn a person from his side to his back in bed?

Kynthia James
Critical Care Nursing

Repositioning in bed helps to relieve pressure on areas that may be prone to skin breakdown. Usually, we reposition patients as needed at least every 2 hours if they are in bed. Those patients who are at greater risk for skin breakdown over bony prominences need repositioning more frequently.

In order to turn your patient it is important that you turn the patient's entire body together to prevent discomfort or injury. It is important to move all pillow or other objects that was used to support your patient in the sidelying position. Once those items are moved gently roll patient onto their back. Reposition patient for comfort and place a pillow between the knees for comfort.

Continue Learning about Caregiving

Know the Signs: Caregiver Burnout
Know the Signs: Caregiver Burnout
Caring for a loved one with a chronic illness can be an emotional rollercoaster to say the least. In addition to stressful hospital stays and office v...
How can I protect senior loved ones from identity theft?
CareConsciousCareConscious
Identity theft is the most common form of consumer crime, and seniors are at greater risk. Take the ...
Getting the Caregiver Support You Need
Getting the Caregiver Support You NeedGetting the Caregiver Support You NeedGetting the Caregiver Support You NeedGetting the Caregiver Support You Need
How Can Caregiving Affect My Health?
How Can Caregiving Affect My Health?