How can I tell if a guardian has a conflict of interest?

In general, there is a conflict of interest if an acting or potential guardian or conservator has personal or financial motivations to make decisions that are not completely on behalf of the care recipient. Here are a few points to consider: 
  • A guardian coordinates the provision of services but should not provide them.
  • A guardian must be independent of all service providers and must make service decisions solely on behalf of the care recipient.
  • A guardian must not pool the funds of the care recipient with other funds.
  • A guardian must not sell or transfer ownership of the care recipient’s property for the benefit of himself, a family member or other third party. All sales or transfers must be for full value.

Continue Learning about Caregiving

How to Avoid “Caregiver Burnout"
How to Avoid “Caregiver Burnout"
Caregiver burnout is a very real form of physical, emotional and mental exhaustion. It can show up as a change in attitude or withdrawal from friends ...
What can experts do to support people who provide care for aging relatives?
Because caregiving can create stress, the United Hospital Fund and the AARP Public Policy Institute ...
Does caregiving put a bigger burden on women?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
Caregivers are more likely to be women (in almost 80% of the cases); perhaps a daughter, wife, siste...
How Can I Avoid Caregiver Burnout?
How Can I Avoid Caregiver Burnout?