How can I tell if a guardian has a conflict of interest?

In general, there is a conflict of interest if an acting or potential guardian or conservator has personal or financial motivations to make decisions that are not completely on behalf of the care recipient. Here are a few points to consider: 
  • A guardian coordinates the provision of services but should not provide them.
  • A guardian must be independent of all service providers and must make service decisions solely on behalf of the care recipient.
  • A guardian must not pool the funds of the care recipient with other funds.
  • A guardian must not sell or transfer ownership of the care recipient’s property for the benefit of himself, a family member or other third party. All sales or transfers must be for full value.

Continue Learning about Caregiving

A Life-Changing Decision: Caring for an Aging Parent
“Like so many caregivers, I arrived at my caregiving role accidentally,” says Shelley Webb. Webb became a full-time family caregiver when she brought ...
Who are considered to be the best caregivers?
Goldina EroweleGoldina Erowele
Traits of an awesome caregiver will include being patient, flexible, loving, caring and involved. Ex...
What are the benefits of planning ahead for caregiving?
Anne FabinyAnne Fabiny
Sometimes changing needs can be met by stepping up services and assistance from paid or informal car...
What Are the Signs of Caregiver Burnout?