How do I know as a caregiver if I need an antidepressant?

Helen Lavretsky, MD
Neurology
As a caregiver, you may need an antidepressant if you’re very depressed. See your physician or mental healthcare professional or ask yourself some simple questions:
  • Do you feel sad?
  • Do you feel angry?
  • Do you feel anxious?
  • Do you feel depressed?
  • Is your function suffering, meaning you can't do things you'd like to do, not because of your caregiving but simply because you don't have the energy or desire, or you're too sad?
  • Do you find yourself crying?
  • Do you find yourself having suicidal thoughts? If you do, you should absolutely see a healthcare professional.

Continue Learning about Caregiving

Caregiver Corner: Stage III Lung Cancer and Caregiver Burnout
Being a caregiver for a friend, family member or loved one who has been diagnosed with stage III lung cancer can be rewarding. It can also be confusin...
Who are the caregivers of veterans?
Anthony CirilloAnthony Cirillo
A study by the National Alliance for Caregiving found that more than 10 million people are caring fo...
How can I help a bedridden person sit up in bed?
Shelley Peterman SchwarzShelley Peterman Schwarz
Create a makeshift backrest for the person who must stay in bed and would like to sit up. First,...
How Should I Care for Myself As a Caregiver?