How is a guardian appointed?

The process of appointing a guardian usually begins when a family member or close friend of a care recipient petitions the court to act as guardian on the recipient’s behalf. The court schedules a hearing, at which time a magistrate, judge or jury will hear from doctors, family members and others close to the care recipient to decide whether the recipient is competent to manage his or her own affairs. If the answer is no, the court appoints a guardian. But if anyone interviewed objects, the matter goes to a trial.

Continue Learning about Caregiving

Caregiver Corner: Tips When Researching Lung Cancer
When a loved one has cancer, you want to learn all that you can about the particular type of cancer, the ways it can be treated, and the everyday thin...
What can experts do to support people who provide care for aging relatives?
Because caregiving can create stress, the United Hospital Fund and the AARP Public Policy Institute ...
What information should I give to my child’s caregiver?
Your child spends time with grandparents, daycare providers, teachers, soccer coaches, gymnastics in...
What's the Best Thing I Can Do for a Loved One Who Has Multiple Sclerosis?