How can my family prepare for celebrations if a loved one has dementia?

In advance of a big celebration, be candid with family and friends about your loved one's condition and your concerns, and enlist their support. In cases where resentment brews because one family member assumes the primary caregiving role, use this event as an opportunity to discuss sharing family responsibilities and to strive for family togetherness.

Consider both what the individual with dementia is capable of and what you, as a caregiver, can handle given your demanding role. Then, put celebrations into manageable proportions. This can help decrease stress and head off feelings of depression that stem from unrealistic expectations, both for you and your loved one.

Continue Learning about Caregiving

Getting the Caregiver Support You Need
Getting the Caregiver Support You NeedGetting the Caregiver Support You NeedGetting the Caregiver Support You NeedGetting the Caregiver Support You Need
From changes in family relationships to financial stress, to the sheer amount of work involved, caring for a loved one with a health condition is a c...
How Can I Get Some Help for Caregiver Burnout?
What's the Best Thing I Can Do for a Loved One Who Has Multiple Sclerosis?
How Do You Inspire the Next Generation of Caregivers?