How should I discuss difficult news with my elderly parent?

Anne Fabiny
Geriatric Medicine
It's tough to impart difficult news, such as a dismal medical diagnosis, a request that a parent stop driving, or the need to consider long-term care arrangements to elderly parents you care for. Yet softening the blow by shading the truth may compound the original problem and is disrespectful to the person involved. Sometimes it's necessary to set forth a painful truth and simply acknowledge the way both parties feel about it.

Continue Learning about Caregiving

A Life-Changing Decision: Caring for an Aging Parent
“Like so many caregivers, I arrived at my caregiving role accidentally,” says Shelley Webb. Webb became a full-time family caregiver when she brought ...
How can I protect senior loved ones from identity theft?
CareConsciousCareConscious
Identity theft is the most common form of consumer crime, and seniors are at greater risk. Take the ...
How do I plan for an aging parent’s future?
Dr. Oluwatoyin Thomas, MDDr. Oluwatoyin Thomas, MD
You and your parent will need to address the difficult topic of preparing for the future, such as ma...
How Can I Get Some Help for Caregiver Burnout?