How many adults will need long-term care in old age?

Anthony Cirillo
Geriatric Medicine
The GE Center for Financial Learning found that 85 percent of adults thought that they would never need long-term care. The Met Life Mature Market Institute found that 14 percent of boomers said they would need day to day assistance. Yet predictions show that 50-70 percent of people will need this care.

Further, according to Penn State Professor Peter Kemper, Georgetown University Professor Harriet Komisar and Lewin Group Consultant Lisa Alecxih, 69 percent of today's 65 year olds eventually will need long-term care. Thirty seven percent will need nursing home care or assisted living; eight percent will spend more than five years there; 11 percent men; 28 percent women.
Who Moved My Dentures? 13 False (Teeth) Truths About Long-Term Care and Aging in America

Who Moved My Dentures dispels 13 different myths about long-term care and aging in America as told through human interest stories of people the author has met through his work as a healthcare...
Sharine Forbes
Geriatric Medicine
According to Medicare.gov about 12 million seniors will need long-term care by 2020. Of these 12 million individuals only a mere 30% will enter a nursing facility. The rest will receive long-term care in their homes and will be provided by a loved one. It is important for seniors who choose to remain at home to have a strong circle of support to help assist with ADLs. 
Goldina Erowele
Caregiving

About 1.5 million people live in nursing homes in the U.S., according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. And more than 10 million Americans — mostly people 65 or older — need long-term services and support to help them with daily activities, according to the Kaiser Family Foundation.

Continue Learning about Caregiving

Know the Signs of Caregiver Burnout
Know the Signs of Caregiver Burnout
Caring for a loved one with a chronic illness can be an emotional roller coaster to say the least. In addition to stressful hospital stays and office ...
What is a professional healthcare chaplain?
HealthCare Chaplaincy NetworkHealthCare Chaplaincy Network
Professional, board-certified healthcare chaplains are the spiritual care specialists on the healthc...
My spouse is ill, but we need to talk about medical bills, what can I do?
An ill spouse may be unwilling or unable to handle medical bills along with health issues and may be...
How Important Are Alternative Sites of Care?