How do I encourage my aging parent with short-term memory loss?

Dr. Oluwatoyin Thomas, MD
Geriatric Medicine Specialist

Adult children who recognize short-term memory loss in their parents must remember that it is up to them to be responsible for how they interact with their parents. You may have to change your behavior and reactions. If your parent is repeatedly asking the same questions, simply provide the answer without correcting him or her. Make sure you are not using a condescending tone. Despite your parent’s cognitive impairment or decline, you still need to treat him or her with respect and dignity.

Using simple directions, pictorial clues and written reminders can help your parent with memory tasks. When you give directions, make them as simple and clear as possible. Speak in short sentences and repeat directions, when requested. One-step directions are best.

Your parent’s cognitive changes will affect your child-parent interactions. Many aging parents struggle with having to depend on their children, especially when they have always been independent and in control. Do your best to allow your parent to maintain his or her self-respect and dignity.

Continue Learning about Caregiving

Know the Signs: Caregiver Burnout
Know the Signs: Caregiver Burnout
Caring for a loved one with a chronic illness can be an emotional rollercoaster to say the least. In addition to stressful hospital stays and office v...
How can I tell if a guardian has a conflict of interest?
CareConsciousCareConscious
In general, there is a conflict of interest if an acting or potential guardian or conservator has pe...
What are some important elements of caregiving?
Anne FabinyAnne Fabiny
Every caregiver experiences times when it's easy to be patient and loving and periods when that does...
What's the Best Thing I Can Do for a Loved One Who Has Multiple Sclerosis?