How do I encourage my aging parent with short-term memory loss?

Dr. Oluwatoyin Thomas, MD
Geriatric Medicine Specialist

Adult children who recognize short-term memory loss in their parents must remember that it is up to them to be responsible for how they interact with their parents. You may have to change your behavior and reactions. If your parent is repeatedly asking the same questions, simply provide the answer without correcting him or her. Make sure you are not using a condescending tone. Despite your parent’s cognitive impairment or decline, you still need to treat him or her with respect and dignity.

Using simple directions, pictorial clues and written reminders can help your parent with memory tasks. When you give directions, make them as simple and clear as possible. Speak in short sentences and repeat directions, when requested. One-step directions are best.

Your parent’s cognitive changes will affect your child-parent interactions. Many aging parents struggle with having to depend on their children, especially when they have always been independent and in control. Do your best to allow your parent to maintain his or her self-respect and dignity.

Continue Learning about Caregiving

Caregiver Corner: Tips When Researching Lung Cancer
When a loved one has cancer, you want to learn all that you can about the particular type of cancer, the ways it can be treated, and the everyday thin...
What are the different types of guardianship?
CareConsciousCareConscious
A guardian is someone appointed by the court to make legal financial and personal decisions for an i...
What should I do if a loved one with dementia wants to go to church?
Alzheimer's Foundation of AmericaAlzheimer's Foundation of America
If mass is still important to your loved one with dementia, consider how they can participate. For e...
How to Support a Loved One Who has a Mental Illness