How can I deal with anger from an aging parent with cognitive impairment?

Dr. Oluwatoyin Thomas, MD
Geriatric Medicine Specialist

To deal with anger from aging parents with cognitive impairment, recognize that the anger is likely coming from a loss of control and independence. Try not to take your parents' anger to heart or to think that your parents do not appreciate you or want you there.

Due to cognitive impairment and changes in mobility, your parents will need to rely on you more, and may begin to think of themselves as a burden to you. They will need constant reassuring and reinforcement that they are loved.

Continue Learning about Caregiving

How to Avoid “Caregiver Burnout"
How to Avoid “Caregiver Burnout"
Caregiver burnout is a very real form of physical, emotional and mental exhaustion. It can show up as a change in attitude or withdrawal from friends ...
How can I help a weak person get into a car?
Shelley Peterman SchwarzShelley Peterman Schwarz
Helping a weak or frail person get into a car with upholstered seats can be difficult. Try tucki...
How can appointing a family medical coordinator help a caregiver?
Anne FabinyAnne Fabiny
Having one person who can talk with doctors, nurses, and pharmacists is helpful to a caregiver. That...
How Can I Get Some Help for Caregiver Burnout?