What are some coaching strategies to encourage my aging parents?

Shelley Webb
Nursing
Praising their efforts is a great coaching strategy to encourage aging adults. It is important for caregivers to remember that the elderly person that they are working with may think that small accomplishments such as walking up and down a hall are not that impressive. After all, they were young and physically fit once themselves. However, sincere and heartfelt praise can change their attitude immediately. Perhaps the most effective coaches (caregivers) are the ones who use humor as a way to break the ice. A good-natured disposition is likely to brighten anyone's mood. That is why it's important to remember to take some time out for yourself in order to be able to maintain that positive attitude which will allow you to maintain that good nature.

Continue Learning about Caregiving

Caregiver Corner: Tips When Researching Lung Cancer
When a loved one has cancer, you want to learn all that you can about the particular type of cancer, the ways it can be treated, and the everyday thin...
What should I ask my doctor about being the caregiver of a parent?
Review the following questions about caregiving that may apply to your situation: My mother see...
What are the Caregiver's Rights?
Dr. Eboni Green, PhDDr. Eboni Green, PhD
As caregivers we often place the needs of our loved ones first. However, it is important to remember...
How to Support a Loved One Who has a Mental Illness