As a caregiver, how can I manage toileting the person I am caring for?

Tasks that we take for granted may take up a large portion of a caregiver's day. To cope, try some of these strategies from the Alzheimer's Association and the Family Caregiver Alliance:
  • Ask your relative's healthcare professional about programs to improve bladder and bowel function. In many cases, incontinence can be successfully treated and prevented. It is not inevitable with old age.
  • Buy a portable toilet at a medical supply store and keep it near your relative's bed if needed. These are good if there is a problem with mobility or urgency, but every older person does not automatically need one, and it may even create a greater sense of helplessness.
  • If your relative has dementia, remove anything from the bedroom or living areas that may be mistaken for a toilet, such as a wastebasket or standing plant.
  • Establish a toileting routine (take him or her to the bathroom every two hours, for example).

Continue Learning about Caregiving

How do I encourage my aging parent with short-term memory loss?
Dr. Oluwatoyin Thomas, MDDr. Oluwatoyin Thomas, MD
Adult children who recognize short-term memory loss in their parents must remember that it is up to ...
How can I spot a reverse mortgage scam?
CareConsciousCareConscious
Reverse mortgages have become a very popular way for seniors to tap into their home equity without h...
How should I discuss difficult news with my elderly parent?
Anne FabinyAnne Fabiny
It's tough to impart difficult news, such as a dismal medical diagnosis, a request that a parent sto...
What are the different types of guardianship?
CareConsciousCareConscious
A guardian is someone appointed by the court to make legal financial and personal decisions for an i...