As caregiver for an elderly relative, how can I make time for myself?

Kynthia James
Critical Care Nursing

As a caregiver, the large majority of our time is devoted to the care of another. We must always remember to take time for ourselves. It is ok to ask for help and there is help available to allow caregivers to have some time for themselves. In many areas there are home health agencies who have volunteers who sit with family so that caregivers can have a break. There are also respite care services that may be available that allows the caregiver vacation or rest time while qualified caregiver care for your family in your home or in a  hospital or long-term care setting.

Continue Learning about Caregiving

caregiving for a loved one with multiple myeloma
when a loved one is diagnosed with multiple myeloma , everyone focus—from family , friends , to healthcare providers—is squarely on that new patient ,...
what are some coping strategies for caregivers ?
Caregiving is, at times, stressful, and many studies show that stress can lead to heart problems, st...
how to support a loved one who has a mental illness
what are the signs of caregiver burnout ?