What are the advantages of bringing in an elder care mediator?

Shelley Webb
Nursing
The advantages of hiring a mediator are that parents (or spouse) must give permission for the meeting to take place, thereby maintaining their dignity and autonomy by being involved as much as possible. Also, if help is needed, financial and task responsibilities can be divided up equally among the children (siblings) or a care contract for a sibling that volunteers to be the primary caregiver can be discussed. Obstacles are more easily overcome when using a mediator who can keep the family focused on the goal of caring for the parent (or spouse) in the best possible way. Family relationships are also improved because everyone is kept in the loop. Those siblings who are unable to attend due to physical constraints can participate by telephone or even on the internet.

Continue Learning about Caregiving

How to Avoid “Caregiver Burnout"
How to Avoid “Caregiver Burnout"
Caregiver burnout is a very real form of physical, emotional and mental exhaustion. It can show up as a change in attitude or withdrawal from friends ...
How can I deal with anger from an aging parent with cognitive impairment?
Dr. Oluwatoyin Thomas, MDDr. Oluwatoyin Thomas, MD
To deal with anger from aging parents with cognitive impairment, recognize that the anger is likely ...
How can I avoid caregiver burnout?
Dr. Ramani Durvasula, PhDDr. Ramani Durvasula, PhD
The best way to avoid caregiver burnout is to find ways to cut corners, and be a "good enough" careg...
How Can Caregiving Affect My Health?
How Can Caregiving Affect My Health?