What are additional ways to use an ergometer?

When most people use an upper-body ergometer, they sit on a chair or in a wheelchair as they concentrate just on an upper-body workout. If you do not have a lower-body injury, you can incorporate the upper-body ergometer into a circuit where it offers a good change of pace from other cardio programs, such as running or biking. You can also vary the routine by standing and getting your whole body invovled in high-intensity intervals. This is effective going forward and backward to work additional muscle groups in the upper body. You can also replace the chair with a stability ball. This still offers the benefits of reducing the stress on a lower-body injury, but introduces some stability exercises to help with core strength. Doing this in both directions is also very helpful.

Continue Learning about Cardiovascular Training

Does Slow Exercise Burn More Fat?
Does Slow Exercise Burn More Fat?
You'll find it on virtually every cardio machine at the gym: instructions on how to hit your fat-burning zone. Essentially, it means you get to work o...
What cardio exercise can I do at home?
Joel Harper - Elite TrainerJoel Harper - Elite Trainer
I am a big believer in working out in the comfort of your own home. That is why all of my options be...
Is there such a thing as too much cardio?
Yes, you can do too much cardio if your goal, fitness level, and/or athletic ability is not taken in...
YOU: The Owner's Manual Workout - Cardio with Joel Harper