Is an upper-body ergometer for strength training or cardio?

You can use the upper-body ergometer for both strength and cardio.  Upper-body ergometers are primarily used for rehabilitation. They are a great way to build cardiovascular strength if you have any lower-body injuries and are unable to use your legs for your cardio workouts.  Because you are using your upper body to generate all the power and the upper body is not as powerful as the legs in most individuals, you will need to start slowly and build strength and endurance in the shoulders and arms first.  This heavy use of the upper body will promote an increase in upper-body strength. Changing direction every 15 seconds will help prevent overuse injuries, while at the same time strengthen the upper body with a pushing and pulling motion.  The continuous upper-body movement with the smaller muscle groups will also stress the cardiovascular system and prepare it to be able to handle this additional work.  This will help strengthen the cardiovascular system while improving upper-body strength.

Continue Learning about Cardiovascular Training

Does Slow Exercise Burn More Fat?
Does Slow Exercise Burn More Fat?
You'll find it on virtually every cardio machine at the gym: instructions on how to hit your fat-burning zone. Essentially, it means you get to work o...
How much cardio exercise do I need for health benefits?
The 2008 Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans recommend adults engage in 150 minutes a week, o...
How much cardio should I start off with in my workout?
It is recommended that you perform a warm-up of five to 10 minutes, prior to engaging in greater int...
Simple Cardio Exercise You Can Do Anywhere