How often should I work pre-season cardio into my volleyball training?

Pre-season cardio for volleyball will depend on your current fitness level.  The goal in the pre-season is to do a lot of conditioning with sport-specific drills.  For athletes who are trying to lose weight or need more time to build an aerobic base, a six-day rotation is needed. Two days will be focusing on endurance around anaerobic threshold, two days will be at a higher intensity working on the anaerobic energy demand of the sport.  These days will be designed around volleyball drills to get both the drills and conditioning in one session. Two days will be low intensity used for recovery and to build aerobic base. As fitness levels improve, remove the lower intensity recovery days, instead using foam rolls, massages, and other modes to help you recover.

Continue Learning about Cardiovascular Training

Does Slow Exercise Burn More Fat?
Does Slow Exercise Burn More Fat?
You'll find it on virtually every cardio machine at the gym: instructions on how to hit your fat-burning zone. Essentially, it means you get to work o...
What is the best cardio exercise?
Todd Townes - Sharecare Fitness ExpertTodd Townes - Sharecare Fitness Expert
The best cardio exercise is any exercise that allows you to elevate you heart rate in to your target...
Is it better to do my cardio at a high intensity or low intensity?
Jay Morgan, NASM Elite TrainerJay Morgan, NASM Elite Trainer
The answer to this question is dependent on the individual - task - goal. Is the goal for wellness, ...
YOU: The Owner's Manual Workout - Cardio with Joel Harper