How much cardio should I start off with in my workout?

It is recommended that you perform a warm-up of five to 10 minutes, prior to engaging in greater intensity cardio training. Performing a warm-up of five to 10 minutes at a low to moderate intensity level will help prepare the body for the activity and provides benefits such as increased heart rate and respiratory rate that will increase the cardiorespiratory system's capacity to do work and increase blood flow to active muscles. Additionally, warming up will increase the tissue temperature, allowing increased rate of muscle contraction, increased metabolic rate, and increased extensibility of tissues. Finally, performing a five to 10 minute warm-up will help you mentally prepare for your work out.

Continue Learning about Cardiovascular Training

Does Slow Exercise Burn More Fat?
Does Slow Exercise Burn More Fat?
You'll find it on virtually every cardio machine at the gym: instructions on how to hit your fat-burning zone. Essentially, it means you get to work o...
How can I create an aerobic circuit workout?
To create an aerobic circuit workout select 6-10 exercises that stress all the major regions of the ...
What does cardio mean?
Daphne OzDaphne Oz
Everyone's heard the term "cardio." That's the word your lacrosse coach uses before she explains...
YOU: The Owner's Manual Workout - Cardio with Joel Harper