How can I tell if I am doing enough cardio?

Determining the amount of cardiovascular exercise needed in a week is based on your fitness goals and your current fitness level. Someone just beginning should try to walk every day. If after a few days of walking your legs feel heavy or tired, take a day off. Your body will tell you if you have done too much. The goal at first is to slowly build up your work capacity (how long your legsand  your cardiovascular system can sustain the activity). Once you have a good base, then you should find or determine a goal for your cardiovascular program. The most common goal would be to use cardiovascular training to aid in weight loss. Fit individuals can do cardiovascular exercise up to six days a week if the proper progressions are done. During the week you will need to have 1-2 high intensity days that will push you. The rest of the week can be comprised of steady state exercise that is provided in many group exercise classes or by jogging outside. Let your body tell you if you need more recovery days by how your legs feel and the energy level you have during the workouts. If you exercise at the proper intensities throughout the week, you should feel fresh for the high intensity days.

Continue Learning about Cardiovascular Training

Does Slow Exercise Burn More Fat?
Does Slow Exercise Burn More Fat?
You'll find it on virtually every cardio machine at the gym: instructions on how to hit your fat-burning zone. Essentially, it means you get to work o...
How much cardio exercise do I need for health benefits?
Kristy Lee Wilson - Sharecare Fitness ExpertKristy Lee Wilson - Sharecare Fitness Expert
For general health benefits, it is recommended that you perform 30-60 minutes of moderate intensity ...
Do I need to cool down after doing cardio exercise?
Wendy Batts Wendy Batts
Yes! Cardio exercise places increased stress on your system and it is important to slowly reduce tha...
4 Steps to a Better Cardio Workout
4 Steps to a Better Cardio Workout