What is aerobics?

Aerobics is a form of cardiorespiratory exercise. For a mode of exercise to be considered aerobic, it should (a) be rhythmic in nature, (b) use large muscle groups, and (c) be continuous in nature. Some examples of modes of exercise recommended to improve cardiorespiratory fitness include:

• Running or jogging
  • Walking
  • Exercising on cardio equipment
  • Swimming
  • Cycling (indoors or outdoors)

Continue Learning about Cardio

How intense should my aerobic workouts be?
Researchers recommend working out at 55 percent to 90 percent of your maximum heart rate, depending ...
What does aerobic mean?
Luis Alonso, NASM Elite TrainerLuis Alonso, NASM Elite Trainer
Aerobic means "With the presence of oxygen".The term was made popular mainly by Dr. Kenneth Cooper, ...
What kinds of aerobic exercises can I perform?
Mabel J.. Robles Mabel J.. Robles
The word "aerobic" literally means with oxygen and any exercise that is low to moderate in intensity...
What is nonaerobic exercise?
Bijoy K. Khandheria, MDBijoy K. Khandheria, MD
Non-aerobic activities exercise areis usually "start and stop" activities that do not keep the large...