What kinds of aerobic exercises can I perform?

Mabel J.. Robles
Physiology

The word "aerobic" literally means with oxygen and any exercise that is low to moderate in intensity, lasting longer than 10 minutes is going to be aerobic.  There are many choices of aerobic activity such as brisk walking, marching in place, walking up and down a flight of stairs, or even just sitting and standing up from a chair.  Performing only one activity for a prolonged period of time can be boring for many individuals so another option is to combine several exercises into one workout.  Creating a circuit that you repeat one to three times can help time pass by much more quickly while allowing you to accumulate more than 10 minutes of aerobic exercise. 

For example, start by marching in place for one to two minutes as your warm-up.  Follow with arm circles for another minute and then go out for a brisk 5 minute walk.  Return home and grab a chair to perform squats by sitting and standing from a chair.  Next, use that same chair and perform 10 push-ups while keeping your hands on the seat of the chair.  This is one circuit.  Now repeat the circuit at least one more time and gradually increase the number of exercises you perform. 

For a mode of exercise to be considered aerobic, it should (a) be rhythmic in nature, (b) use large muscle groups, and (c) be continuous in nature. Some examples of modes of aerobic exercise include:

• Running or jogging
  • Walking
  • Exercising on cardio equipment
  • Swimming
  • Rowing
  • Hiking
  • Cycling (indoors or outdoors)
  • Group exercise classes
  • Dancing

Continue Learning about Cardio

Get Your Feet Wet: Health Benefits of Swimming
No stinky sneakers, no sweat-drenched T-shirts. If that isn't enough to get you to a pool long after summer has passed—doing laps, water aerobics, or ...
What should I know before I try aerobics?
Before you try aerobics it is important to visit your doctor to ensure you are healthy enough for ae...
Why does aerobic exercise help lose weight?
Jonathan PenneyJonathan Penney
Truly any exercise is going to help you lose weight. Aerobic exercise will assist in weight loss due...
Transform YOU: Jumping Jacks
Transform YOU: Jumping Jacks