Why would I need a carotid ultrasound?

Carotid artery ultrasound is used for the evaluation of the possible etiology of a stroke or the prevention of a stroke in the future. Ultrasound provides clear images of the carotid arteries and can identify areas of suspected plaque or stenosis. These images assist the vascular surgeon in making medical treatment or surgical planning decisions.
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Nor does the contents of this website constitute the establishment of a physician patient or therapeutic relationship. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.

Continue Learning about Cardiovascular Diagnostic Techniques & Procedures

What medications will I be given after a cardiac catheterization?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
You will be started on a new medication called Plavix or Clopigrel following your cardiac cathet...
How should I prepare for cardiac catheterization?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
The following are ways to prepare for cardiac catheterization: Arrange for a ride. Ask someone to ...
What are different types of echocardiography?
Northside HospitalNorthside Hospital
There are basically two types of echocardiogram: transthoracic and transesophageal echocardiograms. ...
How can I manage my pain after thoracic surgery?
MountainView HospitalMountainView Hospital
Your doctor will prescribe a variety of medications to treat your pain after thoracic surgery.