How should I prepare for cardiac catheterization?

The following are ways to prepare for cardiac catheterization:
  • Arrange for a ride. Ask someone to drive you to and from the hospital.
  • Don't eat or drink anything after midnight if directed by your doctor. If your doctor allows it, have a liquid breakfast the morning of the procedure.
  • Ask about how to handle your medications. If you take metformin (Glucophage), you'll need to stop taking it the day of the procedure and wait to restart it until at least two days after. (You'll need blood tests before starting it again.) Monitor your blood glucose during this time and call your doctor if it's higher than 300 mg/dL.
  • Tell your doctor if you have a cold, flu or fever the day of the procedure.
  • Bring a list of your current medications, such as over-the-counter drugs, herbs and supplements.
  • Tell your doctor about allergies, especially to medications, iodine or dyes.

Continue Learning about Cardiovascular Diagnostic Techniques & Procedures

What are the types of nuclear heart scanning?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
There are two main types of nuclear heart scanning: Single positron emission computed tomography...
What happens during a carotid artery duplex scan?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
A carotid artery duplex scan, a type of vascular ultrasound study done to assess the blood flow ...
What questions should I ask my doctor about a platelet function test?
SecondsCount.orgSecondsCount.org
The following questions can help you talk to your physician about having a platelet function tes...
What should I expect after my child’s cardiac catheterization?
SecondsCount.orgSecondsCount.org
A heart catheterization, or “cardiac cath,” procedure is a procedure where a physician inserts a thi...