What happens if my gastrointestinal carcinoid tumor comes back?

If a gastrointestinal carcinoid tumor regrows, you will probably need surgery to remove it again. If surgery is not an option, your doctor may prescribe chemotherapy, immunotherapy, or other treatments to delay or alleviate symptoms. Some patients with recurrent gastrointestinal carcinoid tumors may choose to join a clinical trial, which studies new treatments.

Continue Learning about Carcinoid Tumor, Gastrointestinal

What are the stages of gastrointestinal carcinoid tumor?
Gastrointestinal carcinoid tumors are classified by stage, and stages are determined by how advanced...
What is the incidence rate for carcinoid syndrome?
Carcinoid cancer is a rare form of cancer that is located in the digestive system or in the lungs. I...
What is a gastrointestinal carcinoid tumor?
A gastrointestinal carcinoid tumor is a cancer that grows in the hormone-producing lining of the dig...
What is the rate of incidence of gastrointestinal carcinoid tumors?
Of the estimated 11,000 to 12,000 annual cases of neuroendocrine cancers and tumors in the United St...