Advertisement

What is carbon monoxide?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing
Family Practitioner

Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas that has no color or odor. It is given off by burning fuel (as in exhaust from cars or household heaters) and tobacco products. Carbon monoxide prevents red blood cells from carrying enough oxygen for cells and tissues to live.

This answer is based on source information from the National Cancer Institute.

Continue Learning about Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.