What foods should I avoid if I want to eat less sugar?

Ruth Frechman
According to many of my clients, eating less sugar means eating less of the good stuff. Common foods containing a large amount of sugar include soda, cakes, cookies, candy, and pies. These foods can be consumed but in moderation. If you are following 1,800 calories a day to lose weight, limit sweet treats to 160 calories. It's enough to satisfy a craving without going overboard.  

Continue Learning about Carbohydrates

Carbohydrates

Starches, sugars and fiber are the carbohydrates in food. Carbohydrates are a molecule that plants make during photosynthesis, combining carbon, hydrogen and oxygen. They are very important in your body's metabolism because they a...

re generally the part of food that is digested most quickly. Carbohydrates can give you quick energy, and cause a rise in blood sugar levels. Diabetics, in particular, need to pay attention to the carbohydrates they eat to help manage their blood sugar. Some carbohydrates, those found in whole grains and leafy vegetables, for example have a much slower impact on blood sugar than carbohydrates in fruits or candy. It's easy to consume a lot of carbohydrates, as foods like breads, pasta, cake, cookies and potatoes are loaded with them. Nutrition experts suggest that you should only get 45 to 65 percent of your daily nutrition from carbohydrates.