What should I do when eating carbohydrates to avoid gaining weight?

Lisa Lillien
One key to keeping pounds in check when eating carbs is watching portion size, says "Hungry Girl" author Lisa Lillien. To learn more tips for avoiding weight gain, watch this video.
Marisa Moore
The simple act of eating carbohydrates will not cause weight gain. Eating too much carbohydrate (or fat or protein) can lead to weight gain. The recommendation is to get at least 45% of your calories from carbs. Carbohydrates are essential for good health and are the body's preferred source of energy. They include all bread, pasta, rice, fruits, vegetables (especially starchy ones), milk and sweets. 

The key to managing your weight is balance. Instead of downing a big plate of pasta or rice, a pint of ice cream or a bag of chips, choose healthy carbs like whole grain bread, wild rice, quinoa, beans, sweet potatoes, melons and berries. Practice portion control at every meal. Grains should cover only a quarter of the plate. Half the plate should be fruits and/or veggies leaving the final wedge for protein.

Continue Learning about Carbohydrates

Toddler Drinks and Infant Formula Can Have Hidden Sugars
Attention parents: Read the nutrition facts and ingredient label of all toddler drinks and infant formula. In a study published in Preventive Medicine...
How many carbohydrates should I have in my diet?
The Center for Disease Control and Prevention recommends that you follow a meal plan that gives ...
How does starch relate to carbohydrates?
A starch is a type of carbohydrate. It is often called a “complex carbohydrate” because a starch mol...
What Foods Are Good Sources of Carbohydrates?