Q

Carbohydrates

What are some sugar substitutes?

• A , Cardiology (Cardiovascular Disease), answered
    What Are Some Sugar Substitutes
    There’s a new natural sweetener that’s better for your health and keeps your blood sugar from spiking! Watch Dr. Oz discuss coconut palm sugar and why it might be the best sugar substitute for you.
    1 person found this helpful.
  • A , Nutrition & Dietetics, answered
    Here are some sugar substitutes to choose from:
    • Raw honey. Only for use cold (don't cook or bake with it), raw honey is a natural antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal. It's worth the extra effort to find raw honey, as pasteurization damages its delicate nutrients and beneficial enzymes.
    • Unsulphured, blackstrap molasses. This liquid by-product of the process of refining sugar is sweet while also high in minerals.
    • Rapadura. This is dried juice of the sugarcane, and as unrefined as you'll get when it comes to sugar.
    • Maple syrup. Splurge and get the real stuff. I like the lower grades, because the maple flavor is stronger. It's rich in minerals, and being Canadian, I'll admit I have a bias for this one.
    • Stevia. This sweet herb makes a nice and soothing tea if you use the whole leaf, and the powder made from it has become a favorite of many health practitioners because it has negligible impacts on blood sugar and zero calories. Use sparingly -- a little goes a long way.
    • Coconut sugar. This sugar is made from coconut blossoms, has a low glycemic load, and is only minimally refined. It's high in minerals and B vitamins, and works well in baking.
    • Dates. Dates are nice and sweet and packed with minerals. If you need to sweeten a sauce or a dressing, throw a pitted date into your food processor or blender, and it'll do the trick. Talk about unrefined!
This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.
How can I reduce the amount of sugar I eat?