How can sugar cause behavior problems in children?

Erik Fisher
As a psychologist, I see a number of kids and adults with different dietary issues. I have seen children with allergies, more accurately an intolerance to sugar who crave it and hoard it. The impact of the intolerance is often an increase in aggressive and impulsive behavior. Even very small amounts can result in significant changes in behavior. I have observed that it can take roughly 30 days for the body to remove sugar from the system, as evidenced by continued erratic behavior, even though it has such a short direct impact of about 30 minutes to one hour.

Continue Learning about Carbohydrates

Carbohydrates

Starches, sugars and fiber are the carbohydrates in food. Carbohydrates are a molecule that plants make during photosynthesis, combining carbon, hydrogen and oxygen. They are very important in your body's metabolism because they a...

re generally the part of food that is digested most quickly. Carbohydrates can give you quick energy, and cause a rise in blood sugar levels. Diabetics, in particular, need to pay attention to the carbohydrates they eat to help manage their blood sugar. Some carbohydrates, those found in whole grains and leafy vegetables, for example have a much slower impact on blood sugar than carbohydrates in fruits or candy. It's easy to consume a lot of carbohydrates, as foods like breads, pasta, cake, cookies and potatoes are loaded with them. Nutrition experts suggest that you should only get 45 to 65 percent of your daily nutrition from carbohydrates.