How should I eat sugar?

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

Though eating as few simple sugars as possible is the goal, if you do eat them, there is a right and wrong way to do so. Never eat high-sugar foods by themselves. When not eaten with other substances like fat or protein, sugar consumption can cause blood sugar spikes. Pair sugars with nuts or some olive oil and bread first. This slows your stomach from emptying and will keep sugar levels stable.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com.

Continue Learning about Carbohydrates

Eat These Carbs to Lose Belly Fat
Eat These Carbs to Lose Belly Fat
Is your problem spot that area right around your belt buckle? Well then, here are two kinds of healthy carbs you should be eating: beans and whole gra...
Should I talk to my doctor about my carbohydrate intake?
Laura Motosko, MSEd, RDLaura Motosko, MSEd, RD
If you are overweight, diabetic or feeling that you have low blood sugar you should talk to your doc...
What foods are high on the glycemic index?
Dr. Vonda Wright, MDDr. Vonda Wright, MD
The Glycemic Index is a measure of the effect of carbohydrates on blood glucose levels and insulin p...
How Does the Body Get Energy from the Foods We Eat?