How can I reduce my carb cravings?

• AXimena Jimenez, Nutrition & Dietetics, answered on behalf of Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics

These are some helpful strategies to reduce your carb cravings:

• Start your day with a balanced breakfast. Skipping this important meal may lead you to crave carbs later in the day
    • Don't skip any meals. This will keep you blood sugar and other hormones in balance
    • Out of sight, out of mouth. Instead of keeping sugary foods around the house, maintain healthy satisfying foods around the house: grapes, home-made popcorn or almonds
    • Pay more attention to your serving sizes. In case of a specific craving, you can eat one cookie but not 10
    • Don't deny yourself favorite foods. This will lead to obsessing over food and the idea is to enjoy all foods in moderation
  • ADr. Mehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology (Cardiovascular Disease), answered
    Carb detox

Carb "detox" can make you irritable and only work temporarily for weight loss. In this video, Dr. Oz and Dr. Dow discuss what foods to add to your diet to lessen your carb cravings.

Helpful? 18 people found this helpful.
  • AAshley Koff, RD, Nutrition & Dietetics, answered
    How can I reduce my cravings for carbs?
    To reduce your cravings for bad carbs, you need to remove the "carbage" from your diet and focus on healthier, slower carbs, along with protein and good fats. In this video, I will share her tips for eating healthier carbs. 
    Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
How do malabsorbed carbohydrates affect bowel movements?