How is insulin related to carbohydrates?

Heidi Skolnik, MS
Sports Medicine

Sports medicine and nutrition specialist Heidi Skolnik explains how insulin is related to carbohydrates in our bodies. Watch Heidi Skolnik's video for tips and information on active nutrition.

Carbohydrates tend to raise insulin levels in your blood. When you consume carbohydrates your body breaks them down into glucose and other simple sugars. They are absorbed, then show up as blood sugar (glucose). In response to elevated blood sugar, the pancreas sends out the hormone insulin into your blood stream to help push glucose into your cells. If you eat too many simple or complex carbohydrates, your body will produce too much insulin and either create long-term problems or aggravate an existing one like diabetes.

Continue Learning about Carbohydrates

Best Belly-Fat Buster
Best Belly-Fat Buster
Which should you cut back on first if you want to trim belly fat—carbs or fat? You might think that dietary fat goes straight to your middle, but res...
Why should I lower my carbohydrate intake?
Dariush Mozaffarian, MDDariush Mozaffarian, MD
Highly processed wheat, rice, and other refined grains and starches have the same effects in the bod...
What is glycemic load (GL)?
Emilia KlappEmilia Klapp
The glycemic load is a formula established by researchers at Harvard University to predict a person'...
5 Tips to Fight Fatigue
5 Tips to Fight Fatigue