How can I get the emotional benefits of carbs when I'm cutting them?

Chris Powell
Fitness
To get the emotional benefits of carbs when you're cutting them, you need to find that emotional satisfaction elsewhere. Watch as fitness trainer Chris Powell explains how to avoid carb triggers, and provides some healthy tips for resisting carbs. 
Here are some ways to get three of the most important feel-good hormones when you're cutting unhealthy carbs from your diet:
  • Serotonin: Sleep your way to busting your unhealthy carb addiction! Lack of sleep interferes with serotonin production. When you don't get 7 to 9 hours of sleep per night,   your brain releases ghrelin, a hormone that makes you crave unhealthy carbs.
  • Oxytocin: This is also called the cuddling hormone. Get intimate with your significant other, rock your baby, or cuddle with a pet. All of these activities will release oxytocin, which will make you feel happy, peaceful, and connected. When we feel this way, we're less likely to have unhealthy carb cravings.
  • Vitamin D: This is an important hormone for overall health -- including your mood! Get your daily dose of vitamin D with 20 minutes of exposure to the sun. If you're getting more than that, be sure to put on some sunblock. Create a double mood-boosting whammy while you're getting this sun by walking or riding your bike. If the sun's not out, eat foods rich in vitamin D like salmon or tuna, or take a vitamin D supplement.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Carbohydrates

Stop Sugar Cravings in 4 Easy Steps
Stop Sugar Cravings in 4 Easy Steps
Has the tidal wave of holiday cookies, candy, and eggnog kicked your sweet tooth into over drive? Take it down a few gears with these 4 easy strategie...
Why should I lower my carbohydrate intake?
Dariush Mozaffarian, MDDariush Mozaffarian, MD
Highly processed wheat, rice, and other refined grains and starches have the same effects in the bod...
Do breads contain carbohydrates?
Judy CaplanJudy Caplan
Breads contain about 15 grams of carbohydrate per slice. 15 grams of carbohydrate is considered one ...
What Is the Difference Between a Good Carbohydrate and a Bad Carbohydrate?