What are the health risks of fructose?

Kyle True, DC
Chiropractic Medicine
There are many health risks related to consuming too much fructose in your daily diet. Some of the health risks involved in a high fructose diet are Diabetes, Insulin Resistance, Obesity, Metabolic Syndrome, and Heart Disease to name a few.

In general, making sure your diet includes a low intake of fructose (under 25 grams of fructose per day), and consuming most of your fructose from fruits and not processed packaged foods.

Fructose is metabolized by the liver. The liver has to work at 100% when you consume fructose as opposed to Glucose, where the liver has to work at 20%. Chronic intake or excessive intake of fructose over the course of your life has been shown to cause liver damage leading to liver cirrhosis or Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease (NAFLD). 
Janis Jibrin, MS, RD
Research is showing that the risks of fructose outweigh its benefits. For instance, a groundbreaking University of California -- Davis study tracked overweight and obese people who took in 25 percent of their daily calories from either a fructose- or a glucose-sweetened drink. Ten weeks later, both groups gained an average of 3½ pounds, but only the fructose group was hit with a host of diabetes-promoting side effects, such as an increase in insulin resistance, levels of artery-clogging low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, and dangerous intra-abdominal fat (whereas glucose consumers gained the less risky subcutaneous fat). Ideally, the study would have pitted fructose against the two most common sweeteners -- table sugar and high fructose corn syrup -- but still, the results don't bode well for this sweetener and your health.
The Best Life Guide to Managing Diabetes and Pre-Diabetes

Bob Greene has helped millions of Americans become fit and healthy with his life-changing Best Life plan. Now, for the first time, Oprah's trusted expert on diet and fitness teams up with a leading...

Continue Learning about Carbohydrates

Best Belly-Fat Buster
Best Belly-Fat Buster
Which should you cut back on first if you want to trim belly fat—carbs or fat? You might think that dietary fat goes straight to your middle, but res...
Should I talk to my doctor about my carbohydrate intake?
Laura Motosko, MSEd, RDLaura Motosko, MSEd, RD
If you are overweight, diabetic or feeling that you have low blood sugar you should talk to your doc...
How can I reduce my carb cravings?
Ximena JimenezXimena Jimenez
These are some helpful strategies to reduce your carb cravings:Start your day with a balanced breakf...
Potatoes Can Be a Smart Carb and Help You Lose Weight