What is the best way to store potatoes?

Lona Sandon

Potatoes should be stored in a cool, dark, dry and well-ventilated area. Do not wash or scrub potatoes until you are ready to eat them. It is best to keep them out of direct sunlight as this can cause them to turn green and become bitter. The green color comes from a toxin called Solanine. The levels of solanine in one potato are probably not high enough to make you sick, but nonetheless, you should avoid eating green potatoes. 

Store potatoes in well-ventilated areas at an optimal temperature between 45 and 66 degrees Fahrenheit. Ideally, keep potatoes in perforated plastic or paper bags. Keep them away from sunlight, and don’t wash them until you’re ready to use them. Before using potatoes, cut off any budding sprouts. Avoid using any potatoes that have developed green spots. These are a sign of a buildup of a chemical called solanine, which gives the potatoes a bitter taste.

Continue Learning about Carbohydrates

Why should I lower my carbohydrate intake?
Dariush Mozaffarian, MDDariush Mozaffarian, MD
Highly processed wheat, rice, and other refined grains and starches have the same effects in the bod...
Is excessive consumption of carbohydrates a factor in premature aging?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
Many in the medical and research communities now believe that excessive consumption of carbohydrates...
When figuring net carbs, can I subtract protein?
dLife - It's YOUR Diabetes Life!dLife - It's YOUR Diabetes Life!
When figuring net carbs, you can subtract carb grams depending on how much fiber a food contains, no...
How Does the Body Get Energy from the Foods We Eat?