If I am carbohydrate counting, how much beans, peas or lentils can I eat?

Jennifer Shaw

Everyone needs a different amount of carbohydrate, so it's important to meet with a dietitian to find out how much carb is right for you. However, when you're counting, each 1/2 cup of beans, peas, or lentils would count as 1 serving or about 15 g of carbs. Typically, you're aiming for between 3 and 5 servings of carbs at each meal (45-75 g), but that number varies depending on your age, gender, activity level, and weight, among other factors.

Continue Learning about Carbohydrates and Weight Loss

Slim Down with This Smart Approach to Carbs
Which starchy, satisfying food can you keep on the menu even when you're trying to lose weight? Potatoes. Researchers tested this very theory in a st...
How do I measure carbohydrates in food?
Janis Jibrin, MS, RDJanis Jibrin, MS, RD
Counting the carbohydrate grams in your serving of boxed frozen pizza or from a can of chili is easy...
What is the difference between a good carbohydrate and a bad carbohydrate?
The difference between at good carb and a bad carb is how fast that carb raises your blood sugar. In...
Will Eating Carbohydrates Make Me Fat?
Will Eating Carbohydrates Make Me Fat?