Why do I need carbohydrates in my diet?

Carbohydrates provide the most direct energy to our cells. They can be simple (as in sugars) or complex (as in vegetables and grains) and are readily broken down into glucose, the energy for our cells. Whole-carbohydrate foods such as fruits, vegetables, and whole grains are also good sources of fiber; refined carbohydrates in products made with white flour or white sugar, such as cookies, crackers, bagels, or pasta, do not contain fiber. They do, however, provide quick sources of concentrated energy.

Our Bodies, Ourselves: A New Edition for a New Era

America's best-selling book on all aspects of women's health With more than four million copies sold, "Our Bodies, Ourselves" is "the" classic resource that women of all ages can turn to for...

Continue Learning about Carbohydrates and Health

Hidden Sugars Are Not a Sweet Surprise
Hidden Sugars Are Not a Sweet Surprise
Lord Sugar (no kidding) is the star of the BBC One’s version of The Apprentice. Sugar Shane Mosley is a three-weight world boxing champ. And WBA guard...
How does eating simple carbs affect my health?
Ronald Tamler, MDRonald Tamler, MD
To achieve better health, you should reduce your consumption of simple carbs. These include starches...
Is it true that carbs make your stomach big, and fat goes to your thighs?
Neal SpruceNeal Spruce
False. Someone must have made that up by contorting science to package and sell something. When you ...
Why Should I Avoid Eating Refined Carbohydrates?